Last updated April 9. 2020 by Craig Fitzgerald
We reviewed Montway Auto Transport and examined price quotes for a range of different vehicles to get an accurate picture of what it would cost.
Let’s start with the Montway car shipping cost. We used the Montway online quote tool to compare car shipping rates for a move from Boston, MA to Austin, TX. We also looked at the difference between cash on delivery and an up-front credit or debit card fee. Montway offers a discount for cash payment, as you can see below.
We chose shipping from Boston, Massachusetts to Austin, Texas, because it reflected a fairly substantial move across the country. Using Montway’s quote tool, we chose a shipping date within 30 days. If you can plan further ahead, you can save a few bucks. If you need to ship sooner, you’ll pay more.
Here is why we chose the vehicles in the table above:
- 2007 Toyota Camry -- The 2007 Toyota Camry is one of the most plentiful cars in the United States. We chose it to reflect what it would cost to ship a basic car from one part of the country to another.
- 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Crew Cab -- We wanted to examine prices for a full-sized truck to get an idea of pricing for a larger vehicle.
- 1967 Pontiac LeMans -- We wanted to get a price quote for shipping a non-running classic car.
How Montway Car Shipping Works
The basic process of shipping a car used to be a fairly laborious process, but Montway Auto Transport makes it easy. The steps are straightforward:
- Obtain a Quote -- We’ll get into this deeper a bit later, but the quote tool on the website makes obtaining a quote super easy. Input your year, make and model, answer a few basic questions, and you’re provided an instant quote on the website, and you’ll also have a copy of that quote sent to your email.
- Book your Reservation -- Walk through the step-by-step process of inputting your personal data. At the booking stage, you’ll be asked to choose a shipping date, but even if you’re not 100% sure of the date, you can change it later.
- Release the Vehicle -- When your shipping date arrives, the truck will meet you at the agreed upon location. That can be at your home, or even your office. You and the driver will do an inspection of the vehicle at that time to agree upon any damage on the vehicle, and you’ll be asked to sign a Bill of Lading. At that point, the vehicle will be loaded, and the next time you see it will be at its final destination.
- Receive the Vehicle -- Usually, within five to seven days, the truck will arrive at your destination. Similar to pick up, if your address makes it difficult for a large truck to deliver a car, you can also choose a mutually acceptable location like a large shopping center parking lot. When the vehicle is unloaded, you and the driver will inspect it a second time to check for any damage incurred during the ride. If none is evident, you sign the Bill of Lading again and you’re done.
How to Get a Montway Price Quote Online
It’s amazing how a lot of companies want to keep their prices a closely guarded secret until they can spring them on you at the last possible second. That’s absolutely not the case with Montway Auto Transport. The quote tool is located right on the home page, is simple to understand, and you’re instantly provided with all the information you could possibly need to make a decision.
The only information you’ll need is the year, make and model of the vehicle (sometimes with vehicles like pickups, you’ll be asked if it’s a regular cab, extended cab or crew cab, because the length affects the shipping cost) and the pickup and delivery cities.
You have a couple of options to think about as you’re filling in your quote:
Open vs. Closed: You can choose between shipping your vehicle with an open trailer or a closed trailer. When you get your quote, Montway Auto Transport provides the cost differential between open and closed, but if you know you want to ship it in a closed trailer, you can choose this option right up front.
Running vs. Non-Running: Classic car owners who are shipping project cars will be interested in this option. You can ship a non-running car, but be aware that the vehicle should be able to roll and steer before it’s picked up.
At the quote stage, the only personal information you need to give up is your name and an email address. When you click the Calculate Cost button, you’ll be provided an instant quote on the website, and a copy of that quote will be sent to your email address.
Montway Auto Transport Prices & Fees
We show the fees for our sample cars for the Boston-to-Austin move in the table at the top of this page. In our example, the Montway car shipping cost ranged from $999 to $1,949 depending on the car, how it is shipped and how you pay for it.
To get an accurate picture of how much it costs to ship your car from multiple providers, you can use the free uShip online price quote tool.
Factors that affect pricing:
- Vehicle size: As you can see from the price quotes we obtained, a larger vehicle is going to be substantially more expensive to ship.
- Open vs. Closed Trailer: The difference between open and closed can range quite a bit, also based on the size of the vehicle. A smaller car in a closed trailer is quite a bit cheaper to ship than a large truck.
- Running vs. Non-Running: Non-running vehicles can add $250 to the price of shipping. If the driver can start the vehicle and drive it on the trailer, it’s going to save around 20% of the total cost.
- Cash vs. Credit: If you’re willing to pay cash upon delivery, you can save about 10% on the cost of shipment.
- Mileage: If we take the shipping cost of our Camry 1,975 miles from Boston to Austin as a baseline ($999), the per-mile cost works out to around $0.51 per mile. If we changed the shipping distance to 452 miles from Boston to Buffalo, New York, the quoted price drops to $609, but the per-mile cost almost doubles to $1.34 per mile.
Montway Auto Transport Cargo Insurance
A lot of shipping companies are going to charge you an additional fee for insurance. Montway Auto Transport doesn’t. They include insurance on the vehicle as part of the quote, and frankly, all shippers should.
Both you and the driver are inspecting the vehicle and agreeing upon its condition when it gets loaded on the truck. Any damage that appears on the vehicle when it’s unloaded is unquestionably the responsibility of the shipper, so why would insurance be an additional fee?
Montway Auto Transport Review in Summary
We’ve been looking at a number of different shippers for this series of stories, and overall we were impressed with the ease of obtaining a quote with Montway. Other shippers will ask for your phone number and then call you relentlessly to book your trip. Montway only requires an email address. They’ll follow up via email once you’ve obtained a quote, but it’s never high pressure at all.
The quote process is amazingly simple. Put your car in, decide on a few options and BOOM, you’ve got a quote right in front of you. The tool also makes it easy to change the details of the quote. For example, if you decide to ship a different car, you can change that detail on the quote page rather than having to re-enter every detail from the start.
The shipping costs aren’t cheap, necessarily, but we were rather surprised to find that it costs less than $1,000 to ship a car almost 2,000 miles.
Finally, the consumer reviews for Montway Auto Transport suggest that it’s a reputable, trustworthy company to deal with. The company received between four and five-star ratings from Google, Trustpilot, Facebook, TransportationReviews.com and Reviews.org.
Q: How do I get started?
A: Simply input a few details about you, your car and where you want a car shipped to, and Montway will provide a quote instantly. Or you can get a quote from multiple shippers here: car shipping online quote tool
Q: Do I have to input credit card information?
A: No, and unlike a lot of shippers, you won’t have to pay anything upfront before you ship. Think about it this way: Montway has your vehicle as collateral. They assume you’re going to pay for it, or your vehicle is going to be held hostage until you do.
Q: What about car shipping insurance?
A: Montway covers the cost of insurance as part of its quote process, and honestly, that’s something that all shippers should be doing. You and the driver both agree on the condition of the vehicle before it goes on the truck. There should be no question about whose responsibility damages are when it’s being shipped.
Q: Are there other ways to obtain a quote?
A: The simplest and easiest way is to do the whole process online, but if you’re more comfortable talking to someone on the phone, Montway has live chat representatives available 365 days a year, from 6:00 am to midnight CT. They also have people on the phone from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm CT Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 6:00 pm CT Saturdays, and 9:00 am to 9:00 pm CT on Sundays.
Editor's note and disclaimer: Car Talk is supported by our fans, readers, and listeners. When you click on some of the links on our website, we may receive referral compensation. However, you should know that the recommendations we make are based on our independent editorial review and analyses.